News Summary Product Sheets MSPA Download Examples
- working on website update
- GuidosToolbox Workbench 1.4 is now available
- GuidosToolbox 2.8, Revision 0 is now available, more details in the changelog
- testing/upgrading GTB to new IDL 8.7.1 code base
- working on new license scheme allowing all kind of use
- 10 years GuidosToolbox!
- MSPA is now available on FAO-SEPAL (System for earth observations, data access, processing & analysis for land monitoring)
- GWB 1.3 is now available, Linux server cmd-line version of the most popular GTB-modules
- Added GTB and GWB to JRC-JEODPP
- Built and tested rpm and deb-packages for GTB
- Added GWB to JRC-JEODPP
- Built and tested rpm and deb-packages for GWB
- adding Recode to GWB and option for installation into the operating system
- updated GWS workshop material
- GuidosToolbox 2.7, Revision 2 is now available, more details in the changelog
- updated MSPA-plugins and new plugin for QGIS3 are now available
- updated Parcellation productsheet for upcoming changes in 2.702
- updated FAD/FOS productsheet for upcoming changes in 2.702
- working with Forest Europe on fragmentation indicator 4.7
- Landscape Mosaic productsheet is now available
- FAD/FOS productsheet updated
- added LM-heatmap
- finalizing GWB for public release
- Euclidean Distance productsheet is now online
- GuidosToolbox 2.7, Revision 1 is now available, more details in the changelog
- working on enhanced accounting scheme
- patched and uploaded MS-Windows 32bit version to run on Windows XP
- GuidosToolbox 2.7, Revision 0 is now available, more details in the changelog
- updated GWS workshop material
- added accounting for labelFGobjects
- added SPA6
- added Product Sheets section on homepage
- working with Dario on integrating SPA3,5,6 and MSPA into ImpactToolbox
- upgrading IDL framework to the new version 8.7
- GuidosToolbox 2.6, Revision 9 is now available, more details in the changelog
- updated GWS workshop material
- added Simple Pattern Analysis SPA3/SPA5
- fine-tuned Parcellation
- all 2006 GoogleEarth overlays are now working again
- GuidosToolbox 2.6, Revision 8 is now available, more details in the changelog
- updated GWS workshop material
- updated MSPA-website to show Border- and Core-Openings
- updated MSPA-plugins now also detect Border- and Core-Openings
- New: MSPA now also detects/quantifies Border- and Core-Openings
- added a bug reporting tool
- GuidosToolbox 2.6, Revision 7 is now available, more details in the changelog
- New: MSPA-plugin for ArcGIS on the MSPA-website (thanks to Diego Migliavacca!)
- New: MSPA-plugin for R on the MSPA-website (thanks to Diego Migliavacca!)
- GuidosToolbox 2.6, Revision 6 is now available, more details in the changelog
- updated workshop material 2017.09 is now available: GTB -> Help -> GuidosToolbox Workshop
- updating workshop material
- GuidosToolbox 2.6, Revision 5 is now available, more details in the changelog
- working on FAD change analysis
- New: MSPA-plugin for QGIS on the MSPA-website (thanks to Diego Migliavacca!)
- GuidosToolbox 2.6, Revision 4 is now available, more details in the changelog
- working on multiscale Landscape Mosaic
- working on MSPA-plugin for QGIS
- added GoogleEarth overlay output for FAD
- GuidosToolbox 2.6, Revision 3 is now available, more details in the changelog
- Linux installer now includes 32bit libs for OpenEV
- GuidosToolbox 2.6, Revision 2 is now available, more details in the changelog
- GuidosToolbox 2.6, Revision 1 is now available, more details in the changelog
- GuidosToolbox 2.6, Revision 0 is now available, more details in the changelog
- GuidosToolbox: universal digital image object analysis, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/22797254.2017.1330650
- Preparing new release 2.6
- New paper: An inventory of continental U.S. terrestrial candidate ecological restoration areas based on landscape context, available at: https://www.treesearch.fs.fed.us/pubs/54168
- working on new fragmentation assessment scheme
- GuidosToolbox 2.5, Revision 5 is now available, more details in the changelog
- fixed bug in HMC calculation
- improved setup of Conefor Inputs
- GuidosToolbox 2.5, Revision 4 is now available, more details in the changelog
- updated workshop material
- GuidosToolbox 2.5, Revision 3 is now available, more details in the changelog
- fixed MSPA-tiling for empty subtiles
- adjusted image orientation in Conefor Inputs
- updated GTB workshop material 2016.11 available via Help -> GuidosToolbox Workshop
- uploaded patched GTB-MacOS version, which now works with the latest Xquartz version
- finalising license agreement for commercial use of GuidosToolbox
- fixing a bug and optimizing the calculation of Contortion
- GuidosToolbox 2.5, Revision 2 is now available, more details in the changelog
- working on updated workshop material
- new QGIS/gdal 2.11 from Kyngchaos working fine in GTB and new GoogleEarth on macOS Sierra
- looking into upgrading gdal to version 2 on MS-Windows
- new GTB workshop material 2016.08 available via Help -> GuidosToolbox Workshop
- added automatic update check for workshop material
- added new stepping stone detection tool Reconnect.
- added Proximity efficiency measure.
- GuidosToolbox 2.5, Revision 1 is now available, more details are available in the changelog
- working on updated workshop material.
- uploaded GuidosToolbox overview presentation to homepage.
- fixed GoogleEarth overlay examples for new server location.
- fixed crash when pointer is at top/right viewport.
- working on restoration planning scheme.
- GoogleEarth overlay: significantly faster and for any image size.
- MSPA GoogleEarth overlay: new option for fully transparent background.
- Adding more batch-processing options.
- Working on enhancement for Influence Zones and Proximity.
- GuidosToolbox scientific seminar at the Geospatial Forum, NCSU.
Click here and scroll down to March 31 for the 1-hour video summary.
- Fixed empty line in MCD.
- fixed some regressions
- working on proximity analysis
- finally upgraded outdated gdal in MS-Windows
- upgrading workshop material and preparing new GTB2.5 release
- GuidosToolbox 2.5, Revision 0 is now available, more details are available in the changelog
- fixed saving geotiff info in MSPA image with statistics
- revision update and workshop installation now work in non-default installations
- adding option in MS-Windows installer to install into non-default locations
- GuidosToolbox 2.4, Revision 2 is now available, more details are available in the changelog
- updated MS-Windows installer to show full progress bar
- working on watershed analysis
- fixed setup of module Component Connectors
- added News browser to the Help menu
- preparing incremental revision update
- GuidosToolbox 2.4, Revision 1 is now available, more details are available in the changelog
- OS-X only: if you use GTB 2.4 and get crashes when doing MSPA, moving window, recode or cost analysis please download and run the small patch GTB2400_OSXFix.zip.
Note: this patch is already included in the current updated installer of GuidosToolbox 2.4.
- GuidosToolbox 2.4, Revision 0 is now available, more details are available in the changelog
- uploaded updated workshop material with new examples for cost analysis
- uploaded patch for current GuidosToolbox to run on OS-X 10.11 El Capitan
- cost analysis is working now, some small glitches need to be addressed still
- updating installer packages for upcoming GTB version 2.4
- testing/upgrading GTB to new IDL 8.5 code base
- added a patch to fix 'save as kml' under certain versions of MS-Windows Vista/7
- MS-Windows system-inherent batch-processing problem:
can not be fixed but bypassed using GTB Linux or OS-X version
- added elasticity to change detection
- successfully upgraded GTB installers for new IDL code base and upcoming GTB version 2.4
- working on cost map and least cost path
- redesigned websites and merged download statistics into a new application
- GuidosToolbox has surpassed 11500 downloads
- WWF conducting webinar on forest degradation using MSPA
- migrated to a new webserver to resolve downloading problems
- GuidosToolbox 2.3, Revision 1 is now available, more details are available in the changelog
- If you have version 2.3 Revision 0 installed you can upgrade via the menu option Help - Check for Updates
- if you have version 2.2 or earlier installed you should download and install the latest program version
GuidosToolbox (Graphical User Interface for the Description of image Objects and their Shapes) contains a wide variety of generic raster image processing routines, including related free software such as GDAL (to process geospatial data and to export them as raster image overlays in Google Earth), and FWTools (pre/post-process and visualize any raster or vector data).
All tools are based on geometric principles and can thus be applied at any scale and to any kind of raster data.
GuidosToolbox also includes MSPA (Morphological Spatial Pattern Analysis), a customized sequence of mathematical morphological operators targeted at the description of the geometry and connectivity of the image components. The MSPA website provides further information on MSPA features, application examples as well as links to download MSPA-plugins for GIS applications.
The graphical user interface of GuidosToolbox.
The image below shows a subset of image analysis modules in GuidosToolbox (more information can be found in the GuidosToolbox Manual). Please click on any of the light-blue rectangles to open the respective product sheet:
Please click on the icons below to view the GuidosToolbox
reference paper flyer or download the overview presentation.
Using GuidosToolbox requires accepting the GuidosToolbox End User License Agreement (EULA)
GuidosToolbox is available in the following options:
- GTB: GuidosToolbox - Desktop Application (current version: 2.8 Revision 0):
First download and read the GuidosToolbox installation instructions. They contain important additional information to ensure a correct installation and functioning of the application.
If you have version 2.8 installed you can upgrade via the menu option Help -> Check for Updates.
If you use any earlier version please download and install the latest version.
Download and run the installer for your operating system (please use right-click - Save as and download the file to a local directory):
Linux: GuidosToolbox2.8_linux.run (64bit) or system installer: Fedora, SuseLeap, *buntu
Mac OS-X: GuidosToolbox2.8_OSX.dmg (64bit)
MS-Windows: GuidosToolbox2.8_64windows.exe (64bit)
(or the archived, unsupported 32bit version GuidosToolbox2.7_32windows.exe)
- GWB: GuidosToolbox Workbench - Linux server application (current version: 1.4):
More info can be found here.
- GuidosToolbox workshop: information on this 1-3 day training course is summarized in the document GWS_Info.pdf.
The course material, composed of presentations and exercises, can be installed directly from within GuidosToolbox (Help -> GuidosToolbox Workshop) or manually (GWS2018.08.zip).
The presentations provide details on the motivation, design, functioning and application fields of the different methodologies available in GuidosToolbox. They are complemented by sample data and instructions to illustrate using these tools. The course material is designed for the 1-3 day GuidosToolbox Workshop but any interested GuidosToolbox user can follow it as well.
Locations of past, upcoming, and future workshops/seminars are summarized on the GuidosToolbox Workshop page.
Note: MSPA plugins/extensions for ArcGIS, QGIS and R can be downloaded from the MSPA-website
- GuidosToolbox is available for free at the following web site: http://forest.jrc.ec.europa.eu/download/software/guidos
- GuidosToolbox reference paper:
Vogt P, Riitters, K, 2017. GuidosToolbox: universal digital image object analysis. European Journal of Remote Sensing, 50, 1, pp. 352-361, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/22797254.2017.1330650
- If you use MSPA in your work then please add the following reference:
Soille P, Vogt P, 2008. Morphological segmentation of binary patterns. Pattern Recognition Letters 30, 4:456-459, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.patrec.2008.10.015
- GuidosToolbox End User License Agreement (EULA)
- Please also send us a copy of your publication in which this software has been used.
Key features of version 2.8:
- Accounting in up to six object size class categories
- MultiScale fragmentation analysis
- Stepping stone detection tool: Reconnect
- Proximity analysis tool for restoration topics
- Grouping of resulting range into small/medium/large
- Recoding of image classes and much more...
Examples (and additional specific examples for MSPA and GoogleEarth) :
Accounting: How much forest do we have? Where and how large are the forest patches? Visualization and statistics of image objects in up to six user-selected area categories plus three largest objects (pink).
FAD: Where and how much fragmented is the forest cover? How does the degree of fragmentation change over different observation scales? Fragmentation analysis over 5 observation scales and providing 6 classes of fragmentation: Intact, Interior, Dominant, Transitional, Patchy and Rare foreground cover.
Reconnect: Which is the most efficient way to go from A to B? Detect stepping stones and evaluate efficiency of least cost path between user-selectable objects.
Cost analysis: Where are less-difficult locations to travers the landscape? Where are the bottlenecks? How does landscape permeability change if land cover is changed? Cost map, least cost path, bypassing an obstacle, and user-driven cost zones
Influence zones: How far apart are patches from each other? Which separate patches may be functionally connected when impacted by a pest disease? Highlight core areas of minimum size and show outreach buffer zones.
MSPA: Where are isolated small fragments, core areas, connecting pathways, and holes in intact forest areas? How often do they occur and what is their area? Show spatial distribution and statistics for morphological pattern classes and different type of openings inside foreground (median-grey: border-opening, dark-grey: core-opening). The Integrity of the integral foreground is 88.24% <=> 11.76% are Openings.
SPAx: MSPA too complex? Less is more: How are the Core areas structured? Where and how many holes do we have? Use SPA3 to focus on Core area and Core-Openings; SPA5 to further distinguish inside and outside Core-boundaries; or SPA6 to additionally detect small fragments. Use MSPA for more elaborate analysis.
Morphological change detection: Can you remove the spurious changes and show the essential change areas only? MCD showing gain, loss, unchanged foreground (dark) and background (light).
Landscape Mosaic: Which land cover type is dominant in which part of the landscape? Where do we find homogeneous land cover and where a strong intermix of different land cover types? Left: Showing for each pixel the relative proportions of 3 classes (here: Agriculture, Natural, Developed) at a user-selectable observation scale. Right: The heatmap summary showing the relative pixel occurence frequency in each mosaic category.
Contact: Peter Vogt